Saturday 15 November 2008

iPhone 2.1

So I finally took the plunge and installed firmware 2.1 on my 1st-gen iPhone. The update's been out for a few months now, but I wanted to wait until a stable and reliable "hack" becomes available. And also an easy and foolproof installation method. I did ask around at Low Yat Plaza though for fees charged for them to do the upgrading - RM200 is the common quote. So I did some research on the net, found in QuickPWN a simple GUI based installation "program", and a really helpful step-by-step guide (with screenshots!), and went ahead. It was a smooth process alright, and apart from a small problem where the iPhone did not recognise my DiGi simcard after the process was complete - solved after doing some Googling on the problem - it was perfect!

The result? Well, I now have an iPhone 3G!! Apart from actually having 3G and GPS of course. But then, the reason why the iPhone 3G is such a hit is not the 3G capability itself (no significant increase in speeds), nor GPS (at least until applications from Garmin, TomTom and the like make it to the iPhone). The single reason why iPhone 3G is such a huge improvement over the previous version is the opening up of the iPhone platform to thousands of 3rd-party programs via the iTunes AppStore. Yeah, people have been installing programs onto jailbroken iPhones before. However, this "legal" method of installing means that big corporations with huge budgets, experience and resources are now developing iPhone-specific programs.

There are a MULTITUDE of apps available on the App Store - free and paid - but here are a few of my favourites so far:

  • PocketMoney - The application I use most. I'm one of those who records EVERY single transaction I make, and PocketMoney lets me do this, separating the entries for the various bank accounts and credit cards that I have.
  • EPL Live! - A must-have for all English Premiership football fans! Latest standings, fixtures, results. The killer feature - LIVE text commentary and match stats!
  • Remote - Free app from Apple that lets you use the iPhone as a remote control for the iTunes library on your iMac or MacBook!
  • midomi - Ever wondered what song is on the radio, but missed what the DJ said? Or have that tune in your head that you just can't remember who sang it? Well fret no more. With midomi, either put the iPhone to the radio speaker, or SING/HUM the tune into the iPhone, and within seconds midomi will give you the name and artiste of the song! Seriously, it works! Try it yourself at the website.
  • Facebook - An iPhone app with virtually all the features of the FB website - including FB chat, and the ability to snap photos using the iPhone camera, tag your friends and upload it straight to FB - closest thing to a fully-dedicated FB camera! A must-have for those who don't have access to FB in the office (me!).
Anyway, I've literally got a brand new phone with the 2.1 update. Am still browsing the web for recommendations on which apps to install (especially those worth paying for!). I'll hope to rave about more apps I've found in a future post.

No comments: