Tuesday 17 March 2009

The 'Ol Switcheroo!


One thing about me that really irks my friends is that I seem to change my mobile number at least twice a year. About a year ago I switched providers from Maxis to DiGi. Reasons being:

  1. Rates and charges were cheaper than Maxis, and as the Missus has a supplementary number, calls and SMS's between us are free WITH NO LIMIT.
  2. I opted for the unlimited data plan, which was cheaper at RM66/month, albeit EDGE is the fastest speed available. Which was fine with me, as my 1st-gen iPhone has no 3G anyway (boohoo!).
  3. When I signed up for the unlimited data plan, there was a promotion of free 12 month's use of the Airzed wi-fi network, which is the most widely available in KL.
So, all's good then? WRONG. The reception is just so POOR it's laughable. HYSTERICAL even. I have virtually no reception in my room at my in-laws' at Taman Duta, which has led me to MISS so many calls my friends and parents have almost GIVEN UP on trying to get hold of me in the evenings. If I'm in a lift or if I just go one floor down a basement level, there's just NO POINT even checking for reception. "That's expected" I hear you say. Well, that was not the case with my old Maxis number. Worked fine in lifts (well the ones in my office building anyway), and basements weren't too much of a problem unless I went REALLY FAR DOWN.

After having suffered this INCONVENIENCE for about a year, I decided to switch back to Maxis. And the Mobile Number Portability scheme in place in Malaysia now makes the process easier, as we get to keep our DiGi numbers! Only downside is the unlimited data plan under Maxis is RM99/month. But then, it is 3G, and though I can't benefit from it yet, I do expect to do so in a few months, when hopefully I can get my hands on the 3rd generation of the iPhone!

So I made my way to the Maxis service centre in Bangsar and told the guy we had learnt our lessons, have SEEN THE LIGHT and would now hope that Maxis can forgive us and take us back. The whole process was surprisingly easy. Just handed over my IC, gave the guy my home address, current DiGi phone number and which Maxis plans I wish to subscribe to - and voila! Now I just need to wait for an SMS confirming the switch before I can insert my new Maxis sim. The best part - I don't need to call DiGi to inform them of the switch. Everything should be done automatically!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.