Saturday 14 May 2005

London Trip

I’m proud and happy to announce that I’ll be in London from 20th May until 4th June! First time back since I finished uni almost 3 years ago. Also means that for the first time in 3 years I’ll be able to watch the latest releases at the cinema without the following (in no particular order):

  • Subtitles (in two languages!) that cover half the screen
  • Censored scenes/dialogue
  • Dirty film prints
  • Out of focus pictures
  • Ringing phones (and people answering them in the cinema!)
  • Kids/babies crying/talking/running about, even though it’s an 18+ film and they shouldn’t be there in the first place
  • People talking without even attempting to doing it discreetly
  • Someone in the row behind constantly kicking your seat

I’m sure all of you have experienced at least one of the above every time you go to the cinema. Unless you’re one of the perpetrators, that is.

As you may well have guessed, I’ll be watching quite a few films during my trip (as far as my budget permits, anyway). So expect reviews for the following films in the coming weeks:

  • Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
    • Simply the film to watch of Summer 2005, certainly for me anyway. I’ve even bought my ticket already to watch it at the Odeon Leicester Square, the biggest and bestest cinema in London (if not the priciest!). Early reviews have been impressive, and it’s said that Star Wars fans won’t be disappointed. Really looking forward to this one!
  • Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy
    • I’ve got to confess, I’m a new convert to the Guide, only picking up the first book a month ago. The book on which the film is based on has produced a cult following over the years, rivalling that only of the Lord Of The Rings’. Should be great fun.
  • Sin City
    • The latest from one of my favourite fun directors, Robert Rodriguez (Desperado, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, Spy Kids films). Based on a series of graphic novels (a.k.a. comics), and is film noir at its blackest. Great ensemble cast including Bruce Willis, Benicio Del Toro, Jessica Alba and Clive Owen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ozz, there are some movie theatres in UK that also suffer from what you mentioned. At one time Iskandar had to leave the theatre in the middle of a movie because it was simply impossible to concentrate, due the talking, phoning etc etc.
So Malaysia does not have a monopoly of bad behaviour.

azaman