Thursday 12 June 2008

iPhone 3G is here!

I have a confession to make - I own a sim-unlock, jailbroken 16GB iPhone, and boy do I love it! For all its weaknesses - and there are many - the two things that make it the killer phone for me is:
  • It's an iPod - I can just connect it to my MacBook Pro and my podcasts are updated automatically
  • It's simply the BEST mobile web-surfing experience

Now my major gripes about the iPhone are:

  • it's not 3G - a shame considering the awesome mobile internet browser
  • Bluetooth is not EDR nor AD2P - in other words, no syncing wirelessly with your computer, and no wireless stereo music streamed to your stereo Bluetooth headseat
  • 16GB may be a lot of memory for most people, but to be taken seriously as an iPod it needs way more than that - heck, even my last-generation iPod has 60GB!
  • no support (yet) for MS Office documents
  • does not sync with Outlook - so I can't transfer calendar entries and tasks from my office PC

So, El Jobso announced the iPhone 2 a.k.a. iPhone 3G a couple days ago. To be honest, with 3G (finally!), GPS and the new 2.0 software (officially supporting 3rd-party apps and compatibility with Microsoft Exchange servers, amongst others), it is certainly a better machine. But would I go out and get it? Errrrrr, not really. 3G and GPS are good, but to me AD2P bluetooth and bigger memory size are more important. I was seriously expecting a 32GB version, as there's already a 32GB iPod Touch in the market.

But then, even if I did want to get one, it does look like Apple are doing their best to stop people from unlocking the iPhones en masse. I might wait until it's officially released on these shores, but that looks highly unlikely to happen in the near future as Malaysia is not even in the list of SEVENTY countries to get it by the end of the year. I can live with Malaysia not being in the top 100 footballing nations, but not even among the 70 countries to get the iPhone? You must be joking!

No comments: