Wednesday 9 July 2008

Steamed over steamboat

The Missus took me out for dinner tonight at this steamboat place at Ikano. Forgot the name of the restaurant, but it's the one at the basement level, with tables that go almost right into the P1 parking. If you're lucky, you can get a parking spot literally next to your table. Like going to your favourite Mamak, just that it's underground and the air is much more polluted with car exhaust fumes. The food itself was okay, I guess. We ordered the 2-person combo which had a bit of everything, with tomyam soup which was spicy, even for my high pedas threshold.

What I really want to rant about is the whole concept of "steamboat". I mean, when I eat OUT at a RESTAURANT, I expect the food to be COOKED. Instead I'm given a plate of raw fish, chicken and vegetables and am expected to cook it myself. And some places add insult to injury by charging a bomb for this "privilege". I mean, if I'm supposed to boil the food myself, I might as well get the raw stuff at my local Tesco, bring the food home, set up a rice cooker in my living room, fill it with water and pop in a few tomyam cubes, and eat while watching the latest downloaded episode of Family Guy!

I personally think that of all the possible options to open a restaurant, opening a steamboat restaurant would hands down be the most profitable. I mean, you don't need to hire skilled cooks to cook, as there's NO COOKING INVOLVED. You just need to get your supplies in, and chop them up into bite-size pieces, and serve them to your gullible patrons together with a boiling pot of cubestock water.

3 comments:

Point44 said...

Glad I found someone who actually agrees with me on this.

I personally hate steamboat dinners. Largely because when i go out for dinner i want to do the eating, not the cooking.

I'd take it a step further and say that i don't even like buffets. If i'm paying close to a hundred bucks per person for dinner at some fancy hotel i don't want to be queing up to get food.

Which is why i don't understand why Marche at The Curve is so popular. One of the few places where you actually pay a premium so you can enjoy queing up and then having to order your food and then wait for them to cook it for you. Then you have to carry around a bloody piece of paper they stamp for you like some food stamp program for the needy.

Ozzy said...

LOL.. i've actually never set foot inside Marche after hearing similar views from others...

I have to slightly disagree with you about buffets though.. as you can argue that you pay extra for the licence to eat as much as you want... which is why i always go for the expensive foods only at buffets... I pity the fools who go mainly for the rice dishes at buffets.. you pay so much but only have rice with chicken curry and stir fry vege?

Unknown said...

Ozzy si pakar makanan... ;-)

dah macam2 ek kat dlm blog nie? dulu kan cite pasal movie jer...